How everything started
A veil of red earth on a layer of calcareous rock greedily kissed by the sun and agitated by adverse winds that filter through the dry walls, spreading the scents of the Mediterranean and olive trees.
It is here that our vineyards have their roots, in the land on which Luigi Ruggieri, an enlightened doctor and farmer, was ready to bet. Back in 1959, he brought together a group of winemakers to enhance local production, recovering ancient farming practices and combining them with modern winemaking techniques.
With the harvest of 1961 the Cooperative Society Cantine Lizzano was born, baptized with wine of the first grapes conferred by 111 members, pioneers of the economic and social development of this part of Italy until then victim of agricultural policies and conditions of sale decided elsewhere.
One of the first examples of a short chain, awarded in 1989 with the recognition of the Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) (Controlled Denomination of Origin), today the cooperative is one of the largest and most modern in Southern Italy, with over 400 winemaker members and 500 hectares of vineyards with native (Primitivo, Negroamaro, Malvasia, Moscato) and international (Chardonnay, Pinot and Cabernet) vines, the only one in Italy presided over by a woman, Rita Macripò, who carries on the founding values of the cooperative with the same passion as the founder.